Thursday, June 24, 2010

Recap 2

Verona - I'm tired of saying every town I go to is cute, but it's true. Europe is just generally cute. There's stone buildings everywhere and it's tiny and there are few skyscrapers (none in Rome, which I'll get to later). So Verona is cute. The outside is ugly, but if you're inside the old town it's cute enough. There's not much to do but wander around and gape or shop the high end stores. It's a day trip from Venice - you get in, see the bridge (which is amazing), and see Juliet's Balcony. Which is actually fake, but you're supposed to. There's really not much else. It was a good stop over from Munich, but I definitely wouldn't recommend more than a day here.

Venice - You need at least two days here - one to just wander and gape, and one to see a few sights. There's definitely a few days of stuff to do here - we only did the San Marco stuff and that took a lot of the day. If you want to see any of the markets, far off churches, or art museums, you'll need a few more days. Tip: invest in an expensive hotel with air conditioning. Doesn't matter where really, Venice is pretty walkable. But never open your windows at night. Big mistake. I agree with the guidebooks - it's getting a little bit too touristy, but the sights are totally worth it. The view from the top of St. Mark's was awesome. And we never got out to the islands, which are supposed to be amazing.

And that takes us into Rome, which needs quite a bit of explaining all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment