On Tuesday, we had planned to do all the Paris-based attractions we couldn't get to on Sunday, but ended up having somewhat of a low-key day instead. The catacombs were mysteriously closed (we never figured out why), so we did the foundations of Notre Dame museum (kinda dull), Notre Dame inside, the Notre Dame Treasury, and the Conciergerie. The most impressive was the inside of Notre Dame itself. It's huge and amazing and I envied the Disney artists that basically lived in Notre Dame for a month in order to study it for the Hunchback movie. I took loads of pictures.
Throughout the day we kept eyeing the line for the Notre Dame towers, which I desperately wanted to climb. I wanted to see the bells up close and go up were the theoretical Quasimodo was and just have an awesome time looking out over Paris. The line started out horrendously long early in the morning when the thing first opened, and slowly dwindled as the day progressed. We went back at almost exactly 5:00pm, a good hour and a half before the towers are scheduled to close....and they had just shut off the line. I was pissed. The line was teeny tiny. There is no way it would take those people an hour and a half to get up and down the stupid stares. The French and their early closing times were really pissing me off.
On the upside, today was the day we discovered the good, cheap food. A bunch of little cafes near Notre Dame served traditional French lunches, and we feel in love with the Croque Monsieurs, which is basically grilled cheese and ham. This is also where we discovered chocolate crepes with real whipped cream. So amazing, I can't believe I never tried them before. Today was a fail as far as attractions went, but awesome from the culinary angle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment